We live in a world and age where stress and anxiety have been labeled as extremely dangerous conditions. Some doctors and psychologists would even label them as diseases. That’s why an increasing number of people worldwide are turning to yoga and meditation practices, so that they can be healthy and stay protected from these conditions.
The good news is that there are many online meditation classes to choose from. However, nothing compares to going to a physical class and taking part in the best meditation programs in your city.
If you landed on this page, you are probably looking for the best meditation classes for you. Look no more. You can find below the top 3 meditation classes in each important city all across the United States.
Before choosing the right meditation class for you, it is imperative to make sure you know what to look for. Here are 7 tips on selecting the best meditation classes for your needs.
How to Find the Best Meditation Class for You – 7 Advanced Tips
Learning meditation is definitely much easier with a professional and experienced teacher or guru. Face-to-face classes can work much better than online videos, articles or books, because of the interaction between the students and the teacher, the moral support received and the weekly reminder to keep practicing.
If you want to make the most out of your meditation sessions, here are 7 advanced tips on how to choose the right meditation class in your favorite city.
- Discover what Actually Happens During the Class
For starters, you need to make sure that the activities during the class complement your purpose and needs. What you need to look for here is to assess the difference between how each meditation class works and how it prepares for your ultimate goal. At this point you need to know what your goal is: do you want to gain more peace? Do you want to experience freedom from an addiction? Are you eager to improve your relationships with others?
There is no right or wrong when choosing a meditation class for you. All you have to do is to ensure that you are making the right choice and that you will be able to reap the benefits of your meditation class.
- Find out if the classes are affiliated with any particular religion practices or religious beliefs
Some gurus and meditation teachers ask all the members and participants of a class to adopt a certain system of beliefs. Make sure you do not get into something you will regret later on.
- Make sure the classes are safe for you
Next on, it is imperative to ensure that the class you want to enroll in is safe, both psychologically and physically. If you are suffering from a certain condition, some types of meditation classes might not be the best choice for you. For instance, if you have knee or back problems, sitting meditation might not be the wisest choice.
- Silent vs guided
While some meditation classes are silent, others are guided, which means the teachers will talk most of the time. Before choosing a certain type of meditation class, ensure that it is exactly what you want. In case you want a silent meditation class for relaxation and gaining deep insights, it is of no use to choose a guided meditation class.
- Skill development
A good teacher has the right tools to help you maximize your time spent with him and with other practitioners. If you want to boost your meditation skills and enhance the outcome, and you are not the fan of a weekly relaxation, it’s important to ensure you find a teacher that focuses on skill development.
- How long do you need to spend before seeing progress?
When it comes to meditation, do not believe anyone who is telling you that you will enjoy instant results. Just like any other activity, you need to practice it for a few weeks/months to see notable results. Ask your teacher to give you a genuine answer. Usually, you need to practice meditation for at least 10 times before seeing the expected results.
- Check for reviews
Lastly, before choosing a certain meditation classes location, you need to look online for reviews and recommendations. Find out if other people have had a positive experience in this place and try to determine if the results were satisfactory. Feel out different studios and talk with various instructors and gurus before making a final choice.
Discover the Best Meditation Classes in your City
Each meditation class is different and focuses on specific aspects of your body. To help you in your quest to find the best meditation class in your city, I have put together a list of the best meditation classes in New York City, Seattle, Washington DC, Chicago, New Jersey and San Francisco.
- Meditation classes in New York City
Here are 3 of the top meditation classes in Nyc:
– Tibet House: this free class is a sophisticated place where practitioners can enjoy listening to a seasoned Buddhist instructor. However, this is a packed house, so make sure you are not late.
– Taoist Art Center: at Taoist Art Center you need to pay $20 per session or $90 for eight sessions. Even though it’s quite expensive, this meditation place enables you to make the most out of meditation training in Nyc. The soothing atmosphere coupled with the nonjudgmental instructors makes you feel comfortable.
– Now Yoga: for $150 per six sessions you enjoy one of the top meditation locations in Nyc, where the training is rigorous but calm.
There are many other meditation classes in NJ you can discover for yourself. You can choose for yourself the right meditation class for your needs to reap its benefits.
- Meditation Classes in Chicago
Chicago is another great place for meditating, just like New York City. Consider checking out the following 3 meditation classes:
– The Baha’i House of Worship: if you live in Chicago, you may have already driven by the Linden Avenue and seen the amazing Bahai’s House of worship. The temple’s sanctuary is open to the public from 6 am to 10 pm. This place is a spiritual haven for prayer and contemplation.
– Meditate Yoga: only here you can enjoy the widest range of meditation services. From restorative yoga sessions to morning meditation and beginner classes for businesspeople, here you can reap all the benefits of mindfulness meditation.
– Zen Life: this is a growing community where you can enjoy monthly community meals, beautiful retreats and even workshops.
- Meditation Classes in Washington DC
If you live in Washington, here are two of the best meditation classes in dc you should attend:
–Meditation Museum: This place is special to me because it is the first community I joined to learn how to meditate. The Meditation Museum is in Silver Spring, MD just minutes from Washington, DC. They offer classes for spiritual and personal growth. I learned from a great teacher named Sister Jenna. If you’re in the DC/MD areas, I highly recommend you visit the Meditation Museum.
– Still Water Mindfulness Center: this is the place where you are taught how to embrace the world and to act in wise and loving ways. During the practice meditations at Still Water you will perform both sitting and practice meditation and you will be able to participate to a discussion about the benefits of bringing mindfulness into the society.
– Insight Meditation: taking place on Wednesdays and Thursdays in the Jefferson School City Center in Charlottesville, meditation practitioners can enjoy retreats, day-long programs and meditation classes. The meditation teachers from Insight Meditation are extremely experienced and come with unique perspectives on life.
- Meditation Classes in Seattle
Seattle is a great city to meditate in. Here are 3 of the most important meditation classes in and around the Seattle area:
– Shambhala Meditation Center: at the Shambhala Meditation Center you can enjoy professional group meditation sessions. What really makes this place stand out from the crowd is the fact that the price is variable. You only pay as much as you want. The suggested donation amount varies from class to class.
– Insight Meditation Society: everyone is welcomed here and can be part of a six-week meditation program.
– Northwest Vipassana Center: this is a free 10-day silent retreat where you can enjoy silent group meditation and can start to observe the nature and everything around you. The Northwest Vipassana Center is one of the only 10 Vipassana centers in North America.
- Meditation Classes in San Francisco
If you are living in the large San Francisco area and you are wondering: “What are the best meditation classes near me?”, here is the answer:
– Esalen: at only 150 miles south of San Francisco, this is one of the most famous non-profit meditation centers in the whole country. You can reflect in your favorite place and you can also enjoy some of the best meditation classes in the world. This place attracts over 20,000 visitors each year, which means it is quite important.
– Green Gulch Farm Zen Center: this is a gorgeous setting that offers Dharma talks, zazen sessions and other Japanese- specific types of meditation.
Meditation comes with huge benefits, both for your mind and body. Choose the best meditation classes for your needs in your specific city and you will get to see your life transformed. That’s for sure!
If you enjoyed the article, do not hesitate to share it. If you have some recommendations of meditation classes in your location, leave us a reply below.