Yoga meditation is probably one of the most beneficial types of meditations available to us today. I myself have experienced the true power of meditation yoga countless times and I have managed to reap at least one of the benefits of yoga every single time.
Whether you are a passionate yoga practitioner or you simply want to find more about this yoga and meditation practice, you have come to the right place. In addition to the main 4 types of yoga meditation techniques, I will highlight the benefits of practicing yoga and I will show you how to make the most out of yoga meditation classes.
I will also list some great yoga apps that could help you enjoy a quick start with yoga and do everything the right way from the start.
My Experience with Yoga Meditation
I love yoga meditation and I’ve been doing it together with mindfulness meditation for several years now. Even though keeping up a regular meditation practice and continuing to learn about it takes time, I never gave up my hobby for something else.
Yoga meditation is both a science and an art, enabling me to observe, understand, accept my being and fight to coordinate all aspects of my body and soul in order to make them work together for a common goal, which is attaining peace and happiness.
I have tried all forms and types of yoga meditation, and I can state that I’ve enjoyed some of them more than the others. However, you need to try each one of them on your own in order to determine which yoga meditation style is the right choice for you.
Each one of these styles can improve your posture, increase your flexibility, quiet your mind and help you relax like never before. Here are some of the most important yoga meditation techniques and styles you can try.
Table of Contents
Top 4 Yoga Meditation Techniques You Should Try
- Yoga Nidra Meditation
Yoga Nidra is a ancient type of meditation technique that has its roots in the Eastern traditions. Also known as “yoga sleep”, this technique aims to induce a state of deep relaxation and an enhanced inner awareness. Yoga Nidra is considered to be a very powerful mental and physical relaxation technique.
Yoga Nidra soothens your body and helps you deal with all negative or contradictory thoughts. Additionally, it is an excellent technique for resolving mental issues. People with various disabilities and physical pain can use this technique to ease their pain and enjoy a better sleep at night. Yoga Nidra is excellent at relaxing your whole being, at rejuvenating and rebalancing your mind and at helping you enjoy a good night’s sleep.
A great example of Yoga Nidra meditation is here. Listen to this Nidra meditation audio at night when you can’t sleep or during the day when you want to feel rejuvenated and more relaxed.
To perform this type of Yoga meditation, find a place where you can lie down and not be disturbed. Lie down on your back and start listening to a meditation audio track. Let your palms face upwards, with your hands and legs spread apart.
As you will lie in this position and listen to the meditation track, you will be able to free your mind and body and you will experience a whole new level of freedom and relaxation.
- Sahaia Yoga Meditation
This is another unique type of yoga meditation. Also known as Sahaja yoga, this practice was developed back in the 1950’s by Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi. This meditation guru is well famed for her ideas about tranquility, peace and spiritual ascent.
Shri Mataji’s words have been used by tens of thousands of yoga practitioners from all around the world. She has taught people on how to use the power of Sahaja yoga to awaken their spiritual energy, also known as Kundalini.
Once kundalini is awakened, you can experience a unique feeling of self-realization and self-fulfillment or enlightenment. The more you experience this revigorating energy, the deeper your experiences become.
Sahaia yoga meditation classes are held in more than 80 countries all around the globe. Best of all, they are always free of charge. Among the most notable benefits of this type of meditation I should highlight:
– Raising your health threshold and helping you fight diseases with ease.
– Giving you the ability to keep your cool and stay clear-headed during stressful periods of your life.
– Changing your reactions to the external stimuli that are behind the stress.
– Neutralizing the main negative effects of frustration, aggression and anger.
– Helping you enjoy a restful night’s sleep and improving all of your sleep patterns.
Sahai meditation is also extremely effective at improving your focus and concentration, removing inter-cultural barriers and helping you get rid of addictions and bad habits.
- Kundalini Yoga Meditation
Kundalini meditation is a unique school of yoga that has strong influences from Tantra and Shaktism. This practice revolves around the importance of waking up kundalini energy, the energy that flows through our bodies. Also known under the name of “the yoga of awareness”, kundalini yoga meditation aims to cultivate the most important values of the human spirit and uphold the truth.
The practice of this type of meditation is aimed at waking up the 7 chackras in the body. This modern type of yoga meditation is quite complex to understand, so I won’t get into further details. What you need to know is that this is a very powerful tool that can help you experience a whole new level of freedom of your soul but I have read accounts of dangerous reactions as well.
In kundalini yoga, you will discover how to harness the physical, mental and spiritual energies of your body and take them under your own control. In yoga meditation classes where you practice kundalini yoga, the focus is on combining eye-focus, mantra, mudra, breath, postures and various locks to strengthen your nervous system, balance the glandular system, purify the blood and expand the lung capacity.
This type of yoga is not as famous as other types of yoga practices because it was kept hidden until in 1969, when the world-renowned yogist Yogi Bhajan started to promote this technique discovered by him to people from all around the world.
- Kriya Yoga Meditation
Kriya Yoga is also known as the sacred science of meditation. Kriya yoga consists of several advanced meditation techniques whose aim is to help the practitioners attain freedom from addictions and to get closer to God, which is the higher power.
Kriya yoga is the supreme yoga technique, the most advanced one, using the most effective methods that have been ever created. Kriya comes from the ancient Indian history, having its roots in the 4th century B.C. According to Paramahansa Yogananda, this technique was known to Jesus Christ and to the apostles.
Despite being lost during the dark age, there were a few remnants who continued to practice Kriya yoga during the long centuries of the dark age. This is how Kriya yoga has been kept safe and was revealed after centuries of being hidden.
Like a diamond or a gold nugget you dig out of the ground, this meditation technique has been dig out of the mine of time and has been put on a silver platter for everyone to use. You can now capitalize on it and reap all of its benefits.
There are four methods to practice kriya yoga: Hong-Sau concentration, energizing exercises, auum technique and raja yoga.
The Amazing Health Benefits of Yoga Meditation
Yoga & meditation is a new concept in the western science. As it becomes increasingly popular, more and more scientists and health & fitness experts began to analyze its positive effects on the human body. So far they have managed to list more than 30 health benefits of yoga meditation.
Here are some of these amazing benefits for your body:
– Improved flexibility: I have found to discover this benefit to be true in my case. After a few yoga sessions, I have realized that I am more flexible than ever before. Even though before the first session I could barely touch my toes with my fingers, now I can touch them with my full palm.
– Better posture: this is another huge benefit of yoga meditation classes. Poor posture can cause a wide range of problems, especially for people who spend more than 10 hours in front of the computer (just like myself and over 70% of you reading this article).
As you perform yoga exercises, your body flattens the curves in your neck and upper back and becomes more flexible than ever. Together with swimming and pilates, yoga is considered to be one of the best exercises for improving posture.
– Increased awareness: awareness is known to be the foundation of mindfulness and of a sound mind. This is why mindfulness can’t simply exist without anything else around. You need to have something in order to be mindful of it.
Yoga meditation is able to build awareness for quicker transformation. Thus, the more aware you are of you, the easier it will be to break free of all destructive patterns and additions.
– Improve blood flow: yoga meditation includes several exercises that help improve your blood circulation level. The more you practice, the more oxygen your body gets. All the twisting poses help increase your hemoglobin levels and take blood from your heart to the lungs and back. All of this leads to a decrease in heart attack and a reduced risk of heart failure.
– Ease pain: yoga meditations have been of a real help to me. After being dumped by my spouse, I needed to find an activity to help me get rid of all those hard feelings and help me see the life in multiple colors, instead of just gray and black. After two years of practicing yoga, I can state that I feel better than ever and that I am lucky – my spouse didn’t deserve me. My self-confidence has skyrocketed and I feel alive for the first time.
You are probably struggling with similar feelings I’ve struggled with. You can capitalize on the power of yoga meditation and finally put an end to your searing pain.
– Boost your immune system: yoga meditation has the strongest scientific support when it comes to boosting immune system. In response to meditation session, most practitioners enjoy an improved immune system that caters to the external factors. For instance, if you are under attack by viruses, the antibody levels raise, while if your body is prone to an autoimmune disease, the intensity of defensive cells decrease considerably.
– Become happier: lastly one probably most importantly, yoga meditation makes you happy. According to the mediators, if at least one of the partners practices yoga the chances for the couple to get along better after a short separation increase considerably.
Meditation and Yoga – Practice it While on the Go
You can now capitalize on the power of yoga for meditation while on the go. In addition to watching a great yoga meditation video on YouTube, you can now stay in control of your yoga sessions and listen to real time streams from the top yoga practitioners in the world. You can do many more using a yoga meditation app.
Gone are the days when you needed to call an expert or see him or her in person in order to discover more about yoga. Now you can take control over your yoga sessions and stay in touch with your mentor by simply tapping your smartphone’s screen.
Apps such as Yoga Studio, Pocket Yoga, Daily Yoga, Simply Yoga, Yoga.com, iYoga, FitStar Yoga or Universal Breathing – Pranayama can help you to stay focused and motivated day after day. They can also teach you how to breathe the right way, how to find the best yoga classes near you and how to choose the best yoga pose or position for your style. Your options are practically endless.
The Bottom Line
Yoga meditation is definitely one of the healthiest types of meditations. Along with mindfulness meditation, Buddhist meditation and Christian meditation, yoga enables you to enjoy astounding health benefits and fall in love with your life once again.
Yoga meditation is the real deal – try it and you won’t be disappointed.